Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Sweet Corn Tomalito

Ilove corn, so much so that I have been known to eat a half a can as a snack, I also love tamales, especially the masa, but I usually only have tamales around Christmas so this recipe perfectly satisfies my love of corn and masa...oh and it satisfies my sweet tooth. It is super easy to make, although waiting for it to cook in the steamer takes forever and can be difficult if you are impatient like me but it is a great side dish to any Mexican meal and I also like serving it up on top of some stuffed bell peppers (note: I will have to make that recipe and share soon because it is soooooo good) Anyways, here is the recipe...

Ingredients:
5 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup Masa Harina
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
2 cups corn kernels
1 cup corn kernels (separate from the other 2 cups)
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon milk

Directions:
Mix the butter, masa, and sugar together using an electric mixer for about 1 minute or until light & fluffy

In a food processor or blender, blend 2 cups of corn with the water until smooth

Combine this mixture with the butter mixture, stirring well. Add the remaining corn kernels, corn meal, baking powder, salt and milk and mix well


NOW, you've gotta figure out some way to steam this stuff. I used my rice cooker and the steamer top. I placed some waxed paper in the steamer part (so the mixture didn't fall through the holes) and put water in the bottom part. Then, I poured the mixture in and turned the rice cooker on. Make sure you put the lid on tight!
 You will need to steam the mixture for about an hour and a half or until you stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean. The tomalito should have a smooth, moist texture.

Makes 12-16 servings. Approx. 87 calories per serving.


Happy Cooking =]

No comments:

Post a Comment